ISOT’s main focus is the site of a medieval priory dissolved by Henry Vlll, but whose history dates back to 1169. It is thought to lay between the parish church and a farm (pictured) a few minutes walk away.
Castle Dore was established as a Bronze Age fort, later became the home of Cornwall’s King Mark, best known for his role in the legend of Tristan & Yseult, and was where in 1644 Oliver Cromwell’s Parliamentary Army surrendered after being routed in the Battle of Lostwithiel.
There isn’t much to see these days and it’s hard to belief that at one time the five mines that made up Fowey Consols was the second biggest copper mine in the world.
St Andrew’s Church was dedicated in 1347. It was expanded in 1480 and the tower added five years later, there was some restoration in 1798, but the church as it can be seen today dates from a rebuild in 1881.
Connect with ISOT on Facebook: